Return to VOI home page

2017 VOI Board of Directors

President WA7ZZS Larry Bickham
Vice President K7MYU Mike Dunlap
Past President ND7L Don Lynn
Treasurer WV7I Tony Baca
Sr. Director N7UBO Tim Rynearson
Jr. Director KD7KKC Steven Blanchard
Communications Director W7DVR Doug Rich
Membership Director KD7VZW Tom Oswald
Technical Director KF7SSF Will Coleman
Secretary KI7CZR Gordon Wilmoth
Public Events Coordinator N7UBO Tim Rynearson
Web Master W7DVR Doug Rich
Field Director KE7YEM Frankie Cooper

Thanks to Pat Odom N7PAO for her many years of faithful service as Membership Director!


Org Chart

Organization chart

To Contact a Board Member email: Send Mail

General duties of the officers of the Voice of Idaho ARC, Inc.

President:
• The highest elected and Chief Executive Officer of the Voice of Idaho ARC, Inc.
• Sets direction and oversees the operation, contracts, and contractual obligations
• Makes board appointments to fill non-elected club positions.

Vice-President:
• Elected officer next in rank to the president
• Serves as president in the president's absence. • Responsible directly, through delegation or committee for the format and execution of the club ’s public outreach meetings
  o General Membership Meeting, Annual Picnic, and Field Day
  o ISC is not an included responsibility.

Immediate Past President:
• A constitutional officer of the corporation sitting on the Board
• For continuity of operations the former/prior president fills this position. • You are not elected to this position directly but were first elected to the office of president
• Provides guidance to the president and board and will usually be assigned to finish a carry-over assignment
• Oversees the annual VOI election process

Treasurer:
• Elected to administer the financial assets and liabilities of the Voice of Idaho ARC, Inc. as directed by the Board of Directors.

Directors– at-Large:
• There are two “at large” elected directors on the board
• Each director is elected for a period of two years
  o For continuity purposes each term is staggered with one new director positon elected each year
• The incoming (Jr) Director is responsible for overseeing and scheduling the Thursday night general purpose net>

The term Senior (Sr) and Junior (Jr) is not used in the constitution. However we use these terms to identify which director position is being discussed, e.g. we always elect a new (junior) director annually. This person will become the senior director when we elect a new junior director.


Board Meeting Minutes



Voice of Idaho Ham Radio Club, Board meeting minutes for Oct 3, 2017
Attendance report:
President: Larry Bickham present
Vice President: Mike Dunlap absent
Treasurer: Tony Baca present
Director: Steven Blanchard present
Director: Tim Rynearson absent
Immediate Past President: Don Lynn present
Membership Director: Gordon Wilmoth present
Technical Director: Will Colema present
Communications Director: Doug Rich present
Secretary: Leslie Walt present

Larry called the meeting to order at 7.00pm.

The .84 repeater is working at the moment, but is not linked to others. On a recent trip the cable was trenched and covered, running through 2 ½” electrical conduit. The ground is presently not connected. There is an undiagnosed, intermittent noise issue. Another trip will take place shortly, to include transporting and connecting the D-Star as approved by the board tonight. Steve Nipper will attempt to connect the D-Star to the existing unused antenna array on the tower and will try to get it connected to the net.

Will expressed thanks to all who helped on the recent trip to Shaffer.

Shafer: There was board approval for installation of equipment, at no charge to VOI. Someone from VOI will have to meet them there to allow access to the building. The equipment owner will also get an internet service connection operating, with no installation cost to VOI but an ongoing monthly Internet service fee of $25 or $30.

Access to the Bench repeater is still desired by the group from Utah. Doug has not proceeded with this, awaiting Board approval. The Board has not approved, awaiting more information. The organizers have all the equipment and simply want permission to install and activate a link from the Bench repeater into their network. Our Bench repeater is presently underused. The owner of the building has not yet been consulted about permission for this additional equipment. The Board approved installation and activation by this group if: 1) the building owner(s) give permission, and 2) there is no cost to VOI and 3) all parties agree this is a one-year trial.

Next Tech Committee meeting will be the 1st Monday after Club meeting, as usual, which is Oct 16.

Mike: Thanks to Don for handling the food for the recent picnic, and for underspending on it, as well.
The October meeting will feature Zeke KF7YPH who will speak on Covenant-restricted antennas.
Paul Verhage may be there to talk about the balloon launch convention. Tony: Received in the mail a QSL card from California, quoting an unrecognized call sign. Investigation showed it is an old, expired VOI call.
Checking: $5818.82; Savings $8009.18; PayPal $1123.08; $35 on hand; total $14986.08 VP has spent $146 of his budget; the Tech committee has spent $2758.37

Don: Ride Idaho donated $500 to VOI in thanks for services at their event Also, time will need to be taken at the October meeting to open nominations for 2018 elections

Gordon: Tom Oswald and Gordon are working on a list of lifetime VOI members, paid members and those who passed license tests in 2017, in preparation for mailing ballots.
Past members will receive a letter and membership application. The costs of these mailings will be tracked.
Ron Odom will continue making badges for Dec and Jan. The 2018 badge will show the year of membership.
There will be an email to the VOI membership in February, naming the persons for whom we need contact info and asking members to volunteer any information they have for these people.
The Board agreed Life Membership will not be offered again.
Steve – officers of VOI please check in on the Thursday night net.

Doug – the equipment recently donated to the club that is antique or that we know we won’t use can be posted for sale on the website and, if not sold, could go to the consignment table at the ISC.

Will – requests that a complete inventory of VOI equipment, no matter where located, be compiled and that he receive a copy. Also, Will requests that VOI materials and equipment not in use be stored in one VOI-owned location. Discussion followed, regarding physical location vs. record keeping, regarding costs of storage, and regarding potential losses associated with diverse storage locations. Will feels he has responsibility to know where Tech equipment is. Doug feels he should keep the inventory record for the loaning Library as he is the Librarian. Larry feels he should keep the Inventory record as per the By-Laws he has to certify the inventory to any new incoming President. Board conclusions: VOI does need one single inventory document Everyone on the Board please report back on the location of any VOI material or equipment that you have in your possession and also on the location of any other VOI assets you know, copy the Board. A full list may reveal what we can / should do about physical storage of items not installed somewhere.

The meeting adjourned at 8:45pm. An ISC meeting followed.


Voice of Idaho Ham Radio Club, Board meeting minutes for Sep 4 2017

Attendance report:
President: Larry Bickham present
Vice President: Mike Dunlap absent
Treasurer: Tony Baca present
Director: Steven Blanchard absent
Director: Tim Rynearson present
Immediate Past President: Don Lynn excused
Membership Director: Gordon Wilmoth present
Technical Director: Will Colema present
Communications Director: Doug Rich present
Secretary: Leslie Walt present

Larry called the meeting to order at 7.25pm.

It was noted that the .62 repeater was not used by either of the requesting organizations during the eclipse as there was no need.

The .84 repeater is working at the moment, but is not linked to others. There are antenna questions and work is needed. Snowbank’s link is not working either and work is also needed there. The Tech committee will be working on both very soon.

The Bench repeater may still be used by another requester , Doug has not yet reached the pertinent individuals, nor have we reuqested permission from the owner of the building where the repeater is.

Tim requested agreement to change the access tone on the VOI’s portable repeater so when that repeater is used within range of one of our other repeaters, a user won’t ‘hit’ both at once. Agreed, and Tim will change the tone on the portable to 110.9. Doug will publish this when Tim’s got it done.

Picnic report: food was good, attendance was very low, auction proceeds only $135.25. Noted that low attendance suggsts we cancel or make major changes in program and / or advertising.

Suggestions for program changes included Fox hunt, Raffle, Balloon heist.

The L Paul Verhage Balloon Launch next spring will be an additional topic at the September meeting with a short presentation from the organizer.

Next event: Poker Ride Sept 16, where VOI will be Net Control and SAG.

Ride for Hope has donated to VOI a thank you gift of $222

Gordon began an ISC 2018 discussion by moving for a vote to commit to holding the convention. Tony Seconded, and discussion ensued. Location will be an improved Wyndham. Inviting other clubs was proposed, with Doug saying they have always been welcome and others saying the other clubs don’t FEEL welcome. The current committee would consist of Doug, Don, and Gordon, none of these want to be Director. Tony asked Doug the top two items Doug will improve this year. Doug said 1. to communicate that ‘this one’s different’ and 2. to start early, with a good crew. Larry asked Doug if he was confident in the new Wyndham management, Doug said ‘yes’. Tony pointed out that VOI’s #1 priority has to be the repeaters, and that while ISC is more important than the picnic, VOI can’t afford to lose a lot of money on it. Doug said ISC is usually a money-maker for the club. The vote was called, and was unanimous (6-0) in favor of holding the convention, in the same location and on the same weekend as last year. Doug will proceed to find a Director and fill other offices.

Tony gave the Treasurer’s report

The Tech Committee received an additional $2000 for its budget.

Gordon reported he is working wtih Don and Doug and Tony to improve our data collection and maintenance. There was discussion about membership for those who join late in the year. Decision: Someone who joins in October or later receives included in that price a full membership for the upcoming year as well as for the remainder of the current year.

Doug will ask Ron Odom if he wants to continue making the badges.

Decision: membership badges are for one year only. Those who join in the fall or in January will get their new badge included free, those who join later must pay for their badges.

Decision: to encourage both membership and wearing the badges, one door prize drawing at each club meeting will be open only to those wearing their badges.

Will received a form from Doug that the Forest Service wants filled out for use of the land at Snowbank. Will is to investigate whether or not we really have to complete this form.

Doug reported some used equipment has been offered to the club if we will pick it up. Larry will handle this.

There was discussion about donated equipment and purchased club equipment that is currently in private hands and about what VOI should do about collecting and stewarding its assets.

Tim reported that the upcoming triathalon in Emmett is short VOI volunteers. The baord requested Tim prepare a document for publication that will explain what a volunteer does at such an event, and maybe present a demonstration at a club meeting.

Larry requested that Board members remember to check-in during the club net on Thursday nights 8pm on the .84 repeater.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:50pm


June 2017

Voice of Idaho Ham Radio Club, Board meeting minutes for June 6, 2017

Attendance report:
President: Larry Bickham present
Vice President: Mike Dunlap present
Treasurer: Tony Baca present
Director: Steven Blanchard present
Director: Tim Rynearson absent
Immediate Past President: Don Lynn present
Membership Director: Pat Odom excused
Technical Director: Will Colema present
Communications Director: Doug Rich present
ISC Director Gordon Wilmoth present
Secretary: Leslie Walt present

Larry called the meeting to order at 7.05pm.

The May meeting minutes were approved as written.

Larry noted that the VOI calendar of events now appears on the website, and asked Doug to add links, where available, to the event sites. Also Tim needs to update the VOI Facebook page to say the monthly club meetings start at 7pm. The start time is incorrect right now.

It was agreed that starting this year, VOI membership will be discounted to 50% of normal for members who join July 1 or later. A free membership card will not be available at that price however – it must be purchased. Free cards will come only with December and January memberships purchases. Tom from the HP club is printing welcome postcards for members, as Pat gives him information, and he is willing to continue to do so.

At the ISC, only one testing session was reported to ARRL, so those VEs who helped with the second testing session didn’t get credit for volunteering. Doug will tell Jim to contact ARRL and correct their records to show two testing sessions for those VEs.

Will reported access is stil not possible to the 84 repeater due to snow. The June tech meeting will plan staffing, equipment and work schedule for the trip to be made as soon as possible. Sorme of the needed parts are not yet assembled or programmed. Larry requested the repeater be set up for both 440 and 2 meter operation. Will was asked to submit a new budget request for the Tech Committee.

Field day discussion lacked information from Steve, but somet things were decided. Tony reported VOI has released its reservation for space at the public park. Don confirmed his property is available for use at no charge, as is his neighbor’s large shop building. The HP club June 7 meeting will work out what they will contribute to VOI’s field day in equipment and labor. Larry will handle the food, tables, silverware, etc. Don offered some cooking equipment. Don will measure from the proposed antenna site to the neighbor’s shop where the stations will be set up. The club authorized the purchase of coax for two antennas – it’s expected this will be two 500’ lengths with connectors. Don will check on reserving a PortaPotty. Don will bring to the site on Field Day a copy of the trustee’s license, Doug will bring the VOI license.

Mike reported the program for the June meeting will be a Field Day warm-up presentation by the HP Club. July’s topic will be “eyeball QSO” by Judge Dr. Gruber. The Board meeting preceding July’s club meeting will not be the usual 8 days before club because that is July 4. The next board meeting will instead be on June 27. Tony is excused.

Don requested that everyone holding any kind of list or data on VOI members please send to him the headers showing the types of data held. This includes ISC lists. He will use it to continue developing a requirements list for whatever type of centralized data set is chosen for VOI. He noted that most corporations have a Chief Information Officer and that we might need one as well. We have an IT department and a communications officer, but might need an overall CIO for data, social marketing, etc.

The May event VOI was possibly going to participate in did not involve VOI due to lack of information received. We hope to hear from Tim about how participation went in the Cycle for Independence.

Don asked for a status report on repair of the satellite trailer. Doug said it’s having processor cable replaced. Doug will ask if it can be ready for us to use at Field Day.

Doug reported that GoDaddy has charged some previously undisclosed fees for transfer of our website to their hosting, and that he’s having trouble getting all the data needed from our previous provider, too. He noted that we are getting GoDaddy’s best available price for two sites together. He proposed VOI paying an additional fee to make our site a Secured Site, after discussion the Board decided this was not necessary.

Doug requested information from everyone for his email about the upcoming club meeting.
Linda Bickham regretfully resigned her Elmer responsibilties and Doug took them up.

The meeting adjourned at 8:40.

A subsequent email vote took place: The board approved the following as signers on the Idaho State Convention bank account at Bank of the Cascades:
Doug Rich, Communcations Director
John Sager, Convention Treasurer
Gordon Wilmoth, Convention Chairman

The Board also approved the removal of one previous signer on the Bank of the Cascades account: Chad Jacobson is n longer living in Idaho and will not sign on the account.. .

submitted by Leslie Walt


Board Meeting Minutes

Feburary 2017

Voice of Idaho Ham Radio Club, Board meeting minutes for Jan 31, 2017

Attendance report:
President: Larry Bickham present
Vice President: Mike Dunlap present
Treasurer: Tony Baca present
Director: Steven Blanchard present
Director: Tim Rynearson absent
Immediate Past President: Don Lynn present
Membership Director: Pat Odom present
Technical Director: position vacant
Communications Director: Doug Rich present
ISC Director Gordon Wilmoth present
Secretary: Leslie Walt present

Larry called the meeting to order at 7:10pm.

Larry solicited suggestions for a person to fill the Technical Director position. Several were proposed.

Larry reported that the position of ISC Treasurer has been filled by John Sager. Bank access for him is set up, as well.

Doug proposed VOI Board meeting minutes be posted on the VOI website. Agreed.

Mike announced the topic and speaker for the February meeting, and the for March and April.

Mike presented a proposed Field Day budget. $300 for food and drink was approved, and there was discussion of various location options and their costs. It was agreed that 1. Tony will hold the Settler’s Park reservation for now, but not pay yet. 2. Larry will ask Don to speak to the Meridian Mayor about a discount or waiver of that fee based on VOI’s public service and non-profit status. 3. Don’s offer of his own property for a location may be accepted, depending on the answer from the Mayor.

Mike said he has an idea for Field Day Coordinator and will pursue it.

Linda reported on her efforts so far to develop the Elmer program – no one has responded yet.

Mike proposed developing liaison relationships with members of other clubs who are also VOI members. These liaisons would carry club news in both directions. There were concerns about how VOI would be represented to the other clubs and how VOI might maintain consistency-of-message. The Board asked Mike to begin with a few clubs and report on how that goes.

Pat reported that around 50% of VOI’s roster actually paid their membership dues this year. Tony noted that is consistent with previous years.

Tony reported total assets in cash, checking and savings of $16,748.07, with a few outstanding obligations, which he was authorized to pay.

Steve reported progress on reactivating the VOI net and that he has at least one name of someone interested in being Net Control.

Larry adjourned the meeting at 8:15 and an ISC planning meeting followed.

Leslie Walt, Secretary.


January 2017

Voice of Idaho Ham Radio Club, Board meeting minutes for Jan 31, 2017

Attendance report:
President: Larry Bickham present
Vice President: Mike Dunlap present
Treasurer: Tony Baca present
Director: Steven Blanchard absent
Director: Tim Rynearson absent
Immediate Past President: Don Lynn present
Membership Director: Pat Odom absent
Technical Director: position vacant
Communications Director: Doug Rich present
ISC Director Gordon Wilmoth present
Secretary: Leslie Walt present

Larry called the meeting to order at 7:10pm.

Larry requested and collected suggestions for VOI goals for the 2017 year. Then he solicited suggestions for a person to fill the Technical Director position.

Larry reported that the request discussed last month for temporary use of our D-Star repeater will be resubmitted later in more detailed form. The request was received from Gary W7JZU to use the club’s 2 meter portion of the Dstar repeater.

Mike announced the topic and speaker for the January meeting. Then he collected ideas for future meetings and shared his own. The picnic date was set for Aug 19, Don will direct. The Christmas party will be directed by Doug.

Mike presented a proposed VP’s budget, and it was voted and approved. He also announced a new Elmer program for the club, and that Linda will direct it.

The Treasurer reported a total of $17,580.54 in deposits with no outstanding bills.

Don bought a radio from Dale, a VOI member in need of quick cash. Don wondered if the club would like to buy it from him for use as a loaner or to sell. Tony will research and advise if there would be any legal or tax difficulty if VOI should agree to sell it back to Dale at the same price at some time in the future. Then VOI will decide whether or not to buy it from Don.

The meeting adjourned at 8pm.

Leslie Walt, Secretary.
Return to VOI home page
updated 11-16-17